Blog - Linda's Computer Stop

Friday, August 29, 2008

Closing just one document in Word 2007

I get a lot of emails asking me this question, so I figured I'd just post the answer here so many people can see it.
________________

problem:

I'm using Word 2007. Unlike the Excel program, when I close my last document in word it closes down the whole Word program (which doesn't happen with Excel).

Can you suggest how I can avoid this problem with Word?

Thank You

Harry
________________

Hi Harry. You can get the X back to close the document, but it's really hidden. Click on the Office button in the upper left corner of Word ... then click on the Word Options button. Click on Advanced, then scroll down to the section on Display ... in there, remove the check from "Show all windows in the taskbar" ... Click OK ... now you have the X back and can close just the one document.

Take care.
--
Linda F. Johnson
Linda's Computer Stop
http://personal-computer-tutor.com

15 Comments:

  • Thank you, very helpful

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 PM  

  • Nice post,useful info,thank you for sharing us!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:25 AM  

  • THANK YOU!!!!

    This has been driving me insane. I couldn't find any references in the Help files when searching for 'Close a File' or 'Close a Document' I couldn't figure out how to close a single document when I had multiple files open.

    I'd like to thank Microsoft for screwing up a previously functional interface. The Ribbon may be easier if you've never used Office before, but how many Office 2007 customers fall in that category?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:07 AM  

  • Thank you Linda. I just found your solution for getting the close document back on the MS Word 2007 screen. This has been driving me nuts. Thanks so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:38 PM  

  • Same here thanks, its been driving me crazy too.

    Trevor

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:35 PM  

  • Ditto! Many thanks for a useful website.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:52 AM  

  • Another heartfelt THANK YOU. It's been driving me round the bend too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:09 AM  

  • Just to let you know.....not related to this post.......you just helped me fix Microsoft Word, which was starting soooooooo slow. Bless you.

    Just thought I'd say thanks! :-)

    Keith (AKA Flatbadger)

    By Blogger Flatbadger, at 5:17 PM  

  • Thanks Linda, I'm a latecomer to Office 2007 - not sure if I feel I've wasted my money or not. However, this problem was really bugging me. Have followed your directions, and have also learned about using CTRL+W or CTRL+F4 - the CTRL keys solve my problem, but I still do not have the additional X (nor the maximise / minimise buttons) in the top right hand corner of each document after following your directions. Any ideas?

    By Blogger Jan Roberts, at 1:51 AM  

  • It's OK Linda - My changes to the Word Options hadn't "taken" - all is well now.
    Thanks, Jan

    By Blogger Jan Roberts, at 2:03 AM  

  • Thank you thank you thank you!! This has been driving me nuts!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:21 AM  

  • Thanks Linda for this very handy bit of info!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

  • I have been wondering about this issue. Thanks for posting this article. You made some good points there. It’s well written and helpful. - Jaime

    By Anonymous Outsourcing Tech Support, at 9:11 PM  

  • Hi Linda,

    You've got a very interesting and informative blog that's why I put yours on my blog roll. I hope you will also ad mine on your list http://ed-allaboutcomputer.blogspot.com/

    Ed

    By Blogger E.D. (a.k.a. Erwin D.), at 3:53 PM  

  • Thank you!!!! It has been driving me nuts! ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home